5:07 PM

Things That Go Bump in the Night

I like scary movies. I really like them. It's indefensible, I know. I don't have a single friend who shares this interest with me, so this is a hobby I enjoy pretty much alone. Which is ironic, considering this is one thing you don't want to do alone.


My interest in this suspect form of entertainment is clearly the result of having no parental supervision on my television viewing habits as a child. Actually, as long as I'm laying blame, my grandmother is probably most responsible. She was an avid fan of the mystery genre, watching Charlie Chan like he might be outlawed at any moment. She was also the first person I knew with a VCR. And when you're picking out a movie at Bud's Gas-N-Go, the mystery and horror selections tend to overlap. Neither of us were overly familiar with the rating system either. For all we knew, G, PG, PG-13 and R could have been the formula for cold fusion.

So it was that my introduction to this wonderfully entertaining art form came at the hands of my grandmother. And In the spirit of Halloween I want to share my top 5 favorite fright flicks.

5 - The Others - A twist on the classic haunted house

4 - Poltergeist - 25 years later, still one of the most intriguing horror movies ever made

3 - Night of the Living Dead - Zombies are, by far, my favorite monster

2 - The Evil Dead - A completely over-the-top combination of ghosts and zombies

1 -The Shining - You know something is a pop-culture phenomenon when the Simpsons do it

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

not a single friend who shares it. Damn you homey red. Damn you.

Anonymous said...

Check that, I mean a single friend within 1,500 miles!

M said...

I'm within 1,500 miles...and you are right - I hate horror films. I remember being newly married living in the trailer house in Nac when the Blair Witch Projects came out. I did not need to watch that movie when it was clear that living out there I could have lived that movie.
Remeber pulling up to the house at night in pitch black, can't see 2 inches, evil darkness. I think I about crapped myself the first time I was groping my way to the door and the Callahan's dogs(all ten of them) come runing to greet me. For all I knew it was a pack of werewolfs or zombies.

Anonymous said...

Man, I remember how dark that place got. Not to mention that VERY creepy abandoned house in the woods next to it.

Anonymous said...

You guys just crack me up!!
Out of pure self defense...I didn't need to supervise your tv watching way back then!! There was not a person in the world that loved horror films more than you and granny and you were certainly her favorite to sit up late at night and watch them with.