6:23 PM

Self Esteem, One Friend Request at a Time

I find myself compelled, nigh, forced to add more of my particular flavor of drivel to the Attack Deer dialogue. To be sure, I am doing this as a direct response to overwhelming feedback from you, loyal reader, and your insatiable appetite for all things Deer. I want to point out however, that you should all take a serious look at Jonathan's previous post regarding the anthropological wonder that is New Mexico. Jonathan, on top of being a walking case study on the absolute potential of mankind, is an astute observer of the human condition and his musings can only make the rest of us more respectful inhabitants of this wonderfully diverse and changing planet. 


So without further ado, I want to address something that I've ignored for too long. Last week, the peaceful existence of life at 3601 Newland Place was disrupted when Donna and I metaphorically clasped hands, looked at each other with both apprehension and excitement, and leaped together into the world of Facebook. I've long been suspect of social media, choosing instead to pretend to like people to their faces. But as the number of people that I've at one time become friends with and now have no idea where they are or what they're doing piled up, I decided it was time to click on the ol' blinker, check the blind spots, and merge onto Interstate Facebook. 


I'm certainly glad I did, because not only am I finding all of these ghosts of friendships past, but I am discovering that my self-worth is still tied up in how many friends I have. That's comforting because, well, I'm getting older. And I like knowing that while Father Time wages a relentless assault on my physique, he has a ways to go before bringing my fragile and ego-centric psyche in line with my so-called maturity level. Thanks to Facebook, I can easily keep track of my friends and quickly measure against everyone else. This is an invaluable tool, a running score card by which to gauge my value as a person. 


Thank you, Facebook. 

2 comments:

M said...

I have been fighting the urge to get a facebook page. For now I'm OK because I can sort of live vicariously through Melissa's page. But, the more I try to meddle with her page, the more I am beginning to realize that the time for me will eventually come. One way that I have tried to assert my will in her Facebook experience is to become freinds with everyone who asks. Melissa, on the other hand, wants her page to be kind of like the hall of fame. I don't know her standards, but it is clear that she is interested in admitting only the best of the best - that is until Lance got into the facebook scene. When Lance and Melissa became friends Melissa noticed immediately that Lance had something like 200 friends. I think her exact quote was: "he's only been on Facebook for two weeks!" Now it appears that being the best, or at least competative, will trump her desire to admit only the best.

Anonymous said...

Awesome.